The Cajon High School Instrumental Music Department is dedicated to providing outstanding experiences and opportunities to students of music while helping them grow into mature, responsible adults. This mission will be achieved through the cultivation of high expectations in both behavior and musical performance.
- To provide a comprehensive knowledge of music through the performance, creation, and promotion of quality music.
- To develop a life-long appreciation and love for music.
- To provide an environment that promotes and encourages life-long learning and personal growth.
- To create a community of students with a strong sense of loyalty and commitment to the welfare of peers.
- To provide an opportunity for students to develop as disciplined, responsible, and mature adults.
- To allow students to express themselves in an artistic manner through the medium of music.
- To develop the musician in the student and the character and virtue in the student through music.
2022-2023 Course Offerings
- Concert Band (combined sections titled Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band)
- Jazz Band
- Music Production
- Marching Band (8th Period – Fall Semester Only)
- Gold Star Regiment Marching Band and Colorguard
- Wind Ensemble
- Jazz Band
- Pep Band
- Cajon Symphony Orchestra
- Chamber Orchestra
- String Ensemble
- Winter Guard
Directors Emeriti (Past Directors)
Leopold Cichocki (1971-1974) – first band director at Cajon High School; Ohio State University Marching Band alum, founding member of the Riverside Symphony, associate conductor of Claremont Symphony
Robert Sperry (1974-1981) – composer of the Cajon High School alma mater
Pat Sieben (1981-1984) – directed the recording of the Cajon High School Jazz Ensemble in 1983 (12″ LP)
Daniel Reed (1984-1988)
Grant Jennings (1988-1989) – Cajon Cowboy Band plays for Ronald Reagan at Orange Show
Connie Hamilton (1989-1990)
William Nickle (1990-1992)
Michael Kreps (1992-1994)
“Doc” Jack Poster (1994-1995) – renown trumpet player, lead trumpet in many big bands, including the Stan Kenton big band, who has collaborated with The Rat Pack, Tom Jones, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and many, many more. His memoir is available on Amazon.
Jeff Adams (1995-1996)
Laura Ball (1996-2004)
Dwight Asberry (2004-2006)
James Heller (2006-2012) – Gold Star Regiment featured in 2011 Chevrolet Super Bowl Commercial
Dan Gervais (2012-2013) – Founded SB Percussion (the SBCUSD Percussion Ensemble)
Brandon Miller (2013-2015)